Friday 7 September 2018

Another Protest Stops Coal Trains At Sandgate

BY IAN CROUCH

The Police Rescue Squad has been called in to remove an anti-coal protester at Sandgate.

It's the 3rd time this week activists have disrupted the coal chain to Newcastle Port.

The protests have been organised by a group calling itself Front Line Action on Coal who are highlighting what they believe is the major health and environmental impacts of the fossil fuel.

The group wants to see an end to coal exports from the world's largest coal port, claiming it makes up almost half of Australia's greenhouse emissions.

18-year-old Protester, Ceder has locked herself onto the side of a coal train locomotive, live streaming the protest to explain why she did it.

"I feel a bit bad about stopping this train because of the driver...but I've put a lot of my time and energy into signing petitions and things like that and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere with it and I feel this is the way I can take a stand," she said.

Anti-coal protester, Ceder has locked on to a coal train locomotive