The NSW Police Force has welcomed 257 new probationary constables to its ranks today, but there are local concerns the Hunter won't be receiving the number of officers it deserves.
'Class 335' will start work at their new stations on Monday, with 83% to be stationed in Sydney and the other 17% to be distributed across the state.
Wallsend MP Sonia Hornery was disappointed to learn only 3 of the 257 recruits have been assigned to the Hunter and has called on Police Minister Troy Grant to review how new recruits are allocated.
Port Stephens-Hunter, Newcastle City and Lake Macquarie Polic Districts will each receive one new recruit, totalling just 1% of the latest cohort.
"I have brought the issue of police resources, or lack thereof in the Hunter, up many times in Parliament in the last four years," said Ms Hornery.
"And I was laughed down by the government who told me that we are in fact, for some unbelievable reason, according to them, over-resourced in the Hunter."
|NSW Police graduates. Image: NSW Police Force Academy|