Monday, 17 August 2026

Nelson Bay Road To Receive Massive $275 Million Overhaul

 BY MAXWELL HARVEY

The state government has revealed a $275 million upgrade plan for Nelson Bay Road, aiming to make the route safer and more efficient.

With preliminary works expected to begin next year, the first stage will build a four-lane road in the 2.8 kilometre stretch between Bobs Farm and Salt Ash.

It will support travel to Port Stephens via Richardson Road, which is expected to grow following the completion of the M1 to Raymond Terrace expansion.

The second stage then focuses on duplicating eight kilometres of road from Fern Bay to Williamtown, improving accessibility to Newcastle Airport and the surrounding areas.

Finally, the third stage will deliver additional safety measures across the improved sections of road.

It replaces the former Coalition Government's contentious Bobs Farm-to-Williamtown bypass proposal, which was declared to be unworkable by a Transport NSW review due to engineering and agricultural concerns. 

Roads and Regional Transport Minister Jenny Aitchison said the three-staged plan is a major step forward. 

"What we're giving the community now is a realistic, achievable plan to ensure that this road can be duplicated in a way that provides the safety upgrades that we need, but also improves connectivity, reduces congestion and looks at the sensitive agricultural and other lands around this area," she said.

Nelson Bay Road has a notorious reputation for crashes, with Transport for NSW statistics recording 115 incidents between 2020 and 2024.

Two fatalities have been recorded on the road this year, however the corridor between Anna Bay and Salamander Bay where both crashes occurred is not within the project's scope.

The timeline for the project remains uncertain, with the new plan yet to be submitted for federal government review.

Jenny Aitchison said it aims to right the wrongs of the prior Liberal-Nationals Government, and deliver improvements which serve the community.

"We had a lost decade in Newcastle and the Hunter, where plans were put on ice for over 10 years, not progressed, because they wouldn't engage with local representatives who were democratically elected by their communities," she said.

Roads and Regional Transport Minister Jenny Aitchison discussing plans with Port Stephens MP Kate Washington and Newcastle MP Tim Crakanthorp. Picture: Ian Crouch

Friday, 14 August 2026

State Government Set to Tackle Calvary Mater Mould

 BY MAXWELL HARVEY

Critical infrastructure failures at Newcastle's Calvary Mater Hospital are set to be addressed under a new State Government plan.

NSW Health has announced a taskforce to manage critical asset remediation at the hospital, addressing building condition, maintenance, and critical safety failures.

The Mater has faced constant controversy after accusations of mould in the cancer ward surfaced, alleging fungal infections had caused several fatalities over a 20-year period.

A lengthy parliamentary inquest uncovered evidence of corruption and cover-ups, recommending an immediate termination of the hospital's public-private partnership (PPP).

NSW Health announced $12.5 million for emergency remediation work earlier this year, replacing external cladding to prevent water leaks into the hospital.

Current works are expected to be complete by mid-2027.

Health Minister Ryan Park claims the inaction of NovaCare, the hospital's parent company, forced the state government to intervene.

"Earlier this year, we formed the view that we could no longer wait for NovaCare to act, and we stepped in to rectify the cladding and undertake cleaning -- some of which has already been completed," he said.

"We also undertook a building condition report to help identify more long-term structural issues which will help guide further rectification moving forward."

The report examined 1172 assets throughout the facility, finding 305 had defects and required intervention.

Included was an audit into the Mater's dysfunctional heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system, which is believed to be a key cause of continuous mould and maggot infestations.

The health taskforce is set to conduct additional remediation work based on the report's findings, with a major focus on mitigating mould and moisture risks.

Discussions regarding future of Calvary Mater and the PPP are still ongoing.

Calvary Mater Hospital in Waratah. Picture: University of Newcastle. 

Thursday, 13 August 2026

$2.5b Tomago Investment Saves Thousands of Jobs

 BY OLI GOELDNER

More than 1,000 direct and 5,000 indirect jobs have been secured, with a deal finally struck over the continuation of Tomago Aluminium smelter. 

In a visit to the site on Thursday, the Prime Minister spoke to hundreds of workers and local union members, confirming the federal and state government had agreed to invest $2.5 billion into the smelter over the next decade. 

Owning company Rio Tinto announced in October 2025, the smelter would likely have to close as it was unable to secure a competitive electricity contact. 

Now, the funding will continue operations beyond the facility's scheduled closure on 31 December 2028. 

As part of the deal, Tomago Aluminium agreed to invest at least $1.1 billion into the facility, including $100 million to drive further decarbonisation activities at the smelter and undertake an innovative demand-response to support the NSW grid. 

The state government's contribution is capped at $1.225 billion over 10 years from 2029. 

The smelter is the country's largest single electricity user, taking up more than 10 per cent of the NSW grid alone.

Anthony Albanese said the joint investment will underpin nearly three gigawatts of new renewable generation and firming capacity. 

"This site isn't just important for Newcastle and the Hunter, it's a critical asset for the country and our manufacturing future," he said. 

"To the workers here, what you do strengthens our country and strengthens our resilience. 

"Aluminium is an essential product and will be even more into the future."

NSW Premier Chris Minns echoed the Prime Minister's statements. 

"The Hunter has powered NSW and helped build this country for generations," said Premier Minns. 

"This agreement is about making sure it remains an industrial and manufacturing powerhouse for generations to come." 

Electrical Trades Union NSW/ACT organiser Brad McDougall said the announcement comes as an enormous relief to workers. 

"Thousands of families rely on Tomago," he said. 

"This announcement finally gives them confidence that there's a future for them in the Hunter.

"The local community has been campaigning tirelessly for the smelter to be protected, and today that hard work has finally paid off." 

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese with (L-R) NSW Treasurer Daniel Mookhey, Industry and Innovation Minister Tim Ayres, Newcastle MP Tim Crakanthorp, Cessnock MP Clayton Barr and Port Stephens MP Kate Washington. Picture: Ian Crouch



Wednesday, 12 August 2026

Hunter Councils to Receive Urgent Financial Relief

BY MAXWELL HARVEY

Hunter councils are set to benefit from a proposed federal government plan to provide financial assistance for local governments.

Labor's National Conference voted to support a Local Government Federation Compact, which would include an increase in grants, flexible road funding, and support for council workforce programs.

Upper Hunter Mayor Maurice Collison has welcomed the plan, which comes after years of campaigning from regional councils.

"It was a great relief," he said.

"All the councils, and especially the councils from the bush, have been fighting for this for a long, long time, and it will make a big difference."

Federal funding for councils has steadily decreased since the 1990s, with Commonwealth taxation revenue for grants being halved across successive governments.

The financial strain is particularly felt in large rural councils, which have massive infrastructure bills and relatively fewer ratepayers.

"We've got a big shire of 8,000 something square kilometres, with 2,000 kilometres of roads," said Cr Collison. 

"So roads, every time we do a community strategic plan or community feedback, it's all to do with roads."

The Labor Conference also proposed renewable energy projects should make payments to hosting councils and communities.

Upper Hunter Deputy Mayor Pat Ryan said renewable projects are disproportionally built in rural areas, bringing heavy traffic and increased strain on local services.

Despite the promised relief, Cr Collison argues regional councils need further assistance to stay afloat.

"We've been offered the Christmas present, but we haven't got the paper off it yet," he added. 

"So, let's just wait till it comes. 

"We've been crying out for more support.

"The bush councils just can't keep going on hitting the ratepayer." 

Upper Hunter Shire Council Building. Picture: Upper Hunter Shire Council

Police Launch Appeal To Find Teenage Girl Missing From Camberwell

 BY IAN CROUCH

Police are appealing for help to find a teenage girl who's gone missing in the Upper Hunter.

15-year-old Eelaylah Roberts was last seen on Glennie Street at Camberwell on the evening of Friday August 7 and there are concerns for her welfare due to her age.

She's described as being of Caucasian appearance, about 165cm tall with a slim build and long brown hair and is believed to frequent the Rutherford and Singleton areas.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Hunter Valley Police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Missing teen Eelaylah Roberts


 

Tuesday, 11 August 2026

BREAKING! Yachtsman Escapes After Vessel Explodes Off Vales Point

 BY IAN CROUCH

A yachtsman has managed to jump clear of his vessel after it exploded in flames last night in southern Lake Macquarie.

Newcastle Fire Command says crews were called to Vales Point just before 9.00pm to find a 30 foot yacht on fire about 350 metres from shore.

The yacht's owner, who was the only person on board, managed to swim to shore and wasn't injured.

An RFS boat, Marine Rescue, Water Police and PolAir were all sent to the scene.

Despite the efforts of firefighters, the vessel burnt to waterline and sank.

RFS crews at the scene were told as many as 5 explosions occurred when the vessel went up in flames.

A salvage operation is expected to get under way this morning. 

The cause of the blaze is yet to be confirmed. 

 

An RFS boat was called in to fight the fire

 

Monday, 10 August 2026

Footage Released of Newcastle Light Rail Near Misses

BY OLI GOELDNER 

Newcastle Transport is urging residents to pay attention when around trams, following another year of near misses. 

CCTV footage released today shows a number of alarming close calls from pedestrians and vehicles near the Newcastle light rail over the past 12 months. 

Local tram driver Victoria Tonks said it can be very stressful, especially at peak times when the platform is crowded or when people are rushing to cross the road in front of a moving tram.

“Just a moment of distraction could have serious consequences," said Ms Tonks. 

"It’s terrifying when someone runs in front of you or jumps down onto the tracks." 

Keolis Hunter General Manager Arsene Durand-Raucher said the footage is a stark reminder of the risks people take around trams. 

The calls come alongside Rail Safety Week, being held until Sunday 17 August. 

“Every near miss leaves a lasting impact – not just for the person involved, but also for our tram drivers, staff and customers,” Mr Durand-Raucher said.

“We’ve been operating the light rail for more than seven years, and yet we continue to see some incredibly dangerous behaviour by both motorists and pedestrians.

“We continually see people jumping onto the tracks or running in front of moving trams, putting themselves and others at serious risk. 

"Emergency braking can result in falls for onboard passengers which can have life altering consequences.

Mr Durand-Raucher advised commuters should wait behind the white line on the platform, always cross at designated crossings and avoid rushing for closing doors. 

Footage of the incidents can be found on the 2NURFM Facebook page. 

A near miss from an attempted stunt at the Civic light rail stop. Picture: Newcastle Transport