Thursday 16 March 2017

Anglican Bishop of Newcastle resigns

BY JESSICA ROUSE

The Anglican Bishop of Newcastle announced his resignation from the role this morning.

Bishop Greg Thompson resigns after 38 years with the church and three years serving the Anglican Diocese of Newcastle as Bishop.

"It's made a significant impact on my life and certainly my personal story is affected by that as well as the important work of trying to put in place a proper culture that acknowledges the harm that its done and the change that we need to put into support survivors," said Bishop Greg.

The Anglican Diocese of Newcastle and Bishop Peter Stuart believe Bishop Greg led the Diocese to greater health, and called into question actions of the past which has shaped a healthy future.

Since the end of the Royal Commission's Case Study 42 on the Anglican Diocese of Newcastle, Bishop Greg says change is underway in Newcastle, but his priority now is his own health.

"The last day of the case study I was the last witness it that and that had a huge impact [on me], and I think it's been a break to think through those issues that have come into my life and address them in the best way I can - to try and have a break and I will continue to do that."

The decision certainly wasn't an easy one to make, but Bishop Greg has enjoyed many of his roles within the church and thinks now is the perfect time to resign and look after himself.

Bishop Greg Thompson. [Picture Maitland Mercury]