Wednesday 10 March 2021

Local Bowler Ron Jackson Shares His Secret to Longevity on 100th Birthday

BY ISABEL EVERETT

Local lawn bowler Ronald Keith 'Jacko' Jackson says there isn't much more to the meaning of life than having a good time. 

Mr Jackson was born in London in 1921 and left school at the age of 14 to work on the land. 

He served in the Australian Army from 1941 to 1946, fighting in the Middle East and Papua New Guinea in WWII, before retiring in 1981 as a Citrus Orchard Manager at Narromine. 

The centenarian has been lucky enough to see three children, six grandchildren, and twelve great-grandchildren.

Ron credits exercising every day and his active life style to his longevity, playing baseball, cricket, tennis, golf, and now lawn bowls at Hamilton North since 2017. 

“Exercising all the time, never stop, I don’t like to be sitting on my backside, I rather be doing something," Ron said. 

Ron said the meaning of life isn't "worth worrying about unless you enjoy it," and he isn't thinking too much about hitting the triple digits.

"I'm trying to forget about it actually," Ron said. "The more you think about it, I can't remember ever knowing a man that's reached 100."

"I don't feel any different to when I was eighty actually." 

A gala will be held at Hamilton North Bowling club on Thursday, in honor of his birthday.