Wednesday 14 December 2022

Upper Hunter candidate latest to quit party in mass exodus

BY EMILY WILLIAMS

The Upper Hunter candidate for the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party, Sue Gilroy, has become the fourth person to resign from the party in the past week.

The mass exodus has been sparked by party leader Robert Borsak's failiure to resign at the party's general meeting on Saturday, and subsequent re-election.

The Singleton businesswoman says the party's leadership "needs work".

"I have always said that I ran with the party because of their purpose and their values," Ms Gilroy said.

"On the back of the events that have happened in the past few days, I don't believe they're living their purpose and values."

"I really felt that the brand damage and the voter trust and confidence in the party was diminished, so it really left me no choice." 

Mr Borsak has been under fire since September when he was caught on microphone in parliament saying that the speaker "should have clocked" a former MP of his party, Helen Dalton.

Ms Gilroy joins her daughter and Singleton councillor Mel McLachlan, Barwon MP Roy Butler, and Orange MP Phil Donato, who have all departed in the past few days.

Ms Gilroy says, unlike the other MPs, she isn't planning to run on ab independent ticket.

"I'm not in the position with man-power or financially to actually run as an independent in a big election like the Upper Hunter," she said.

"I was quite gutted... it was a very difficult decision because I thought I could represent the people of the Upper Hunter well and understand their challenges and their lifestyle, but it wasn't to be."

Sue Gilroy with former party colleagues Mark Banasiak and Robert Borsak.