Monday 9 May 2022

Paterson Candidate Calls for an End to Campaign Slurs

BY OLIVIA DILLON

Liberal candidate for Paterson Brooke Vitnell is calling for an end to "grubby gutter politics", after being targeted by vandals and online trolls over her appearance. 

Ms Vitnell has faced a barrage of sexual slurs throughout her campaign. When speaking to The Daily Telegraph, she said she has been repeatedly attacked on Facebook because of her looks, with some users employing inappropriate symbols to depict her face and body. 

She also said she has had to reprint more than 800 campaign posters since the announcement of the election, and lost more than 100 corflute signs in one evening to vandals in what she called a "coordinated attack" against her. Some signs were torn down and others were graffitied with sexual imagery. 

One of Ms Vitnell's largest campaign signs in the region had to be reinforced with screws after being stolen six times, but was then defaced by vandals who spay-painted male genitalia next to her face. 

Ms Vitnell expressed her disdain for the attacks, and claims they escalated significantly in the lead-up to the opening of pre-poll voting today. 

"I certainly don't think this happens to male candidates in marginal seats. This is a coordinated attack by those opposite to disparage me based on how I look and attack my character, because in tight contest they don't have anything else left to do other than attack people with disparaging sexual remarks and try to discredit them," she said. 

Her call to end the abuse also stems from fears the barrage of slander will deter women from entering politics in the future. 

"Grubby politics need to be a thing of the past. We need more women in our parliament. We need more women to put their hand up and represent their community," Ms Vitnell said. 

"Our Parliament needs to be representative of our country. 51% of our population are women and they need to be encouraged to put their hand up, not deterred, because if they do, they'll face sexist sledges and remarks." 

In response, Paterson MP Meryl Swanson has come out in support of Ms Vitnell, describing the situation as appalling. 

"I am sorry you have been targeted in such a way. I know how you feel and I find it appalling. My team and I delete such comments as soon as we are aware of them, and expect all candidates to do the same. In my experience it is usually not 'those opposite' who make such comments but people who are just vile in nature."

Ms Vitnell said the attacks would not deter her from her campaign in the lead-up to the election. 

"All it does for me is harden my resolve that I want to fight for this community. It encourages me to keep on going."



Image: Brooke Vitnell's Facebook Page