Wednesday, 30 May 2018

Shark Nets - More Harm Than Good?

BY XANTHE GREGORY


Hunter and Central Coast shark nets are sparking concern for marine life along the coastline.

The latest report from the state government shows almost half of the 141 marine animals caught in nets between Stockton and Shelly Beach were killed.

The netting program has been criticised for harming untargeted creatures including 71 rays, three turtles and two dolphins which are endangered.

University of Newcastle Marine Biologist David Powter says "Only about 6% of the total catch consists of those target species and the other 94% consists of a whole range of other marine organisms that pose either an incredibly small or absolutely no risk whatsoever to bathers."

As well as by-catch issues, the nets have been criticised because they are only 150 metres wide and do not reach the top of the water.

David Powter says "What you have is a net that has hundreds of metres either side of it and four to six metres of water open above it."

He says the nets have a high mortality rate for marine life whilst providing little other than an illusion of safety for the public.

"I believe that they create a false sense of security," said David Powter.

The Greens have also called for an end to the netting program.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your sharing articles. I have been finding interesting posts and your articles are what I need. They are really useful and engaging. They are precious pieces of advice. I can branch out with new knowledge. Learn captivating things. Hope you will upload more me. best money converter on shopify , currency converter free , 15 best apps on shopify 2019

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm full of the joys of spring when see your new posts. I like them very much. To me, they really help me sometimes. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I have been waiting for your following articles.shopify free discount app , Product discount master app , 15 best free apps on shopify

    ReplyDelete