Tuesday 13 April 2021

Labor's By-election Candidate Vows to Protect Miners but Accepts Coal Industry Will Decline

BY ISABEL EVERETT 

Labor has announced former coal miner and union official, Jeff Drayton as it's candidate for the Upper Hunter by-election.

A Muswellbrook resident, Mr Drayton worked at the Mount Arthur Coal mine for 20 years before working for Energy Australia and then as District Vice President of the Mining Union.

He says he's understands the issues facing the Upper Hunter electorate, better than any of the other candidates. 

"I believe I can fix them, I've spent my whole 51 years in the electorate."

"Obviously mining forms a big part of the electorate...I don't just deal with one coal miner, or my next door neighbor, I'm dealing with thousands of mine workers yearly." 

"Surely it's the case that a coal miner can have some security and confidence that their job will still be there in a few years time." 

Mr Drayton acknowledged the coal industry will decline over time, and says the Government must act now to determine what industry workers will transition to. 

"We appear to be talking about moving away from the coal jobs when we haven't worked out what jobs are there, or what we're going to move to."

"We've got to work hard to have jobs for people to move to." 

He said he's confident the Labor Party will support mine workers going forward. 

"Every time I open the newspaper, or every time I turn the TV on I see someone having a go a coal miners, and that has to stop, and I'm going to fight bloody hard to make sure it does." 

He also said he'd like to see more of the money generated from local coal mining, equine and agricultural industries funneled back into the electorate. 

"A lot of money goes into the State's coffers through those industries, disappointingly though it appears that we don't see much coming back. I plan to change that." 

Mr Drayton conceded the election would be difficult for Labor to win, with the Nationals Party holding the Upper Hunter seat for more than 90 years. 

Labor secured 28 per cent of the primary vote in the Upper Hunter at the 2019 state election.


Image: Port Stephens MP, Kate Washington