Tuesday 2 May 2017

A move for the proposed Lower Hunter Hospital

BY IAN CROUCH and JESSICA ROUSE

While in Newcastle yesterday, Health Minister Brad Hazzard said he's open to looking at a proposal to relocate the planned Lower Hunter Hospital.

The proposal would see the site moved from Metford to Kurri Kurri and Cessnock Council has called on the government to consider the shift to an area of green space within the former Hydro Aluminium site believing it would better serve the Hunter Valley.

Brad Hazzard is happy to consider the idea, and as Health Minister only wants to the best outcome for patients.

"Certainly the advice I've had from the ministry and from the local health district is that they have already bought a new site and they think that site is a very good site but I am looking at the arguments both ways and discussing and challenging if you like, the bureaucracy there is, but I have heard that decision and I am looking at it."

But public funding needs to be spent wisely, and the minister says where the taxpayer's dollar goes is very important.

"It is always a case of being open to local communities and as the Minister for Health, I am. But I have to be sensible and make sure that taxpayers funds are used well. What the department and the ministry are advising me is that they're very happy with the site but certainly if there are other issues I'll look at it."

Health Minister Brad Hazzard