Thursday 18 May 2017

Planning Minister lets slip Mayor Peter Blackmore's retirement

BY JESSICA ROUSE

Maitland Mayor Peter Blackmore was taken by surprise yesterday when Planning Minister Anthony Roberts let slip he won't be running for Mayor in the September elections.

Anthony Roberts let the cat out of the bag during the opening of the new 1,100 seat grandstand at Maitland's No.1 Sportsground and took the opportunity to pay tribute to Councillor Blackmore who's served on council for 22 years and was also the state member for Maitland for eight years.

Whether it was the right time and place for the announcement, Councillor Blackmore simply replied "yes" when Anthony Roberts asked him to confirm whether he'd been considering retiring from public life.

"I had been thinking along these lines for all of this term bearing in mind that I am 72 years of age and the fact that I'd had 22 enjoyable years as the Mayor of the City of Maitland and also almost 8 years as the member for Maitland. I have just enjoyed so much representing the people of our city."

He will step down ahead of the September council elections, leaving the door open the next Mayor of Maitland.

"Now is the time after September 9th, that I can devote my spare time with my family and with my grand kids and most particularly with my wife Robyn who has been the Mayoress, who has been with me throughout and turning up at functions and its been a wonderful time."