Showing posts with label Newcastle Regional Show. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Newcastle Regional Show. Show all posts

Monday, 6 March 2017

Newcastle Show To Return In 2018

BY IAN CROUCH

The Newcastle will return next year after a major cash shortfall threatened to make this year's show the last.

A $40,000 boost from the state government means this year's show is expected to break even despite smaller crowds over the 3 day event due to wet weather.

The one-off government grant was provided on the condition a management review is undertaken by the show society and the government. 

Organisers will sit down next week to conduct the review which will include restoring an alternative income stream in a bid to future-proof the show.

The Newcastle Show will return on from the 2nd to the 4th of March 2018.

Newcastle Show Society President, Brett Gleeson with one of his goats at this year's show

Thursday, 2 March 2017

Newcastle Regional Show recieves funding boost

BY JESSICA ROUSE

The Newcastle Regional Show has received a much needed funding boost from the NSW Government.

A one off $40, 000 grant was given to the Show Society yesterday, as a result of a plea made to the office of Parliamentary Secretary for the Hunter Catherine Cusak.

The government has vowed to undertake a review to help secure the future of the 115 year old event by investigating alternative revenue streams.

"We were contacted yesterday afternoon [Tuesday 28th February] to indicate that they had a cash flow crisis and this $40, 000 announcement is the Premier basically stepping in to make sure that the Newcastle Show goes ahead in 2017 and we want to also secondly make sure the show can be more secure and viable well into the future," said Catherine Cusak.

Meanwhile, State Member for Newcastle Tim Crackanthorp says Labor are pleased with the news, but a one off payment this year, won't be helpful for next year.

"We've been lobbying the government for the last month and while it is a good one off payment of $40, 000, we really need to see the arrangements change in terms of the rent and car parking payments for the future so the show can keep going."




Tuesday, 31 January 2017

Newcastle Regional Show Faces Uncertain Future

BY IAN CROUCH

There are fears this year could be the last for the iconic Newcastle Show as a cash crisis threatens to send the show association to the wall.

The show is in it's 115th year after being launched in May 1902.

However, bad weather in recent years, a fall in corporate sponsorship and the loss of the Show Day public holiday have all combined to leave the event desperately short of cash.

To make matters worse, surplus funds from previous shows which were used to help bankroll upcoming shows are now diverted to Venues NSW.

The show association has made an urgent request for emergency funding from the state government, however Venues NSW, which manages the show grounds and the entertainment centre, has reportedly advised it won't be providing any income support.