Thursday 19 January 2023

NZ Prime Minister Steps Down

BY OLIVIA DILLON


Jacinda Ardern has resigned as the Prime Minister of New Zealand. 

After almost six years in the role, she will step down as the Labor leader no later than the 7th of February, and a vote in the coming days will determine her replacement. 

She said in a statement her reasons for stepping down are personal, and not politically-motivated. 

"I am not leaving because I believe we cannot win the next election, but because I believe we can and will," she said. 
"You cannot and should not do the job unless you have a full tank, plus a bit in reserve for those unplanned and unexpected challenges that inevitably come along." 
"Having reflected over summer I know I no longer have that bit extra in the tank to do the job justice. It's that simple."
She also announced a general election will be held on the 14th of October. 

Image: ABC