Monday, 31 March 2025

Man Trapped For Two Hours After Crash At Fullerton Cove

 BY IAN CROUCH

A man has been trapped for 2 hours following a single vehicle crash at Fullerton Cove early Monday morning.

Emergency services were called to Nelson Bay Road between Fullerton Cove Road and Coxs Lane just after 3.00am.

They found a car crashed off the road and overturned at high speed, rolling down a 1 metre embankment and coming to rest against a tree.

The driver, a 27-year-old man, was trapped by confinement and could not be reached by paramedics.

The Port Stephens SES was called in and released the man from the wreckage just after 5.00am.

He's been taken by road ambulance to the John Hunter Hospital in a serious condition with suspected spinal injuries and a dislocated shoulder.


 


Friday, 28 March 2025

Fears Held For Missing Teenager In Lake Macquarie

 

BY IAN CROUCH

 Police are asking for help to find a teenager who's gone missing in the Lake Macquarie area.

14-year-old Jai Winters was last seen at Bolton Point on Monday night.

Police and family hold concerns for his welfare due to his age.

Jai is described as being of Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander appearance, about 155cm tall with a thin build, black hair and brown eyes.

He was last seen wearing pyjama pants, no shirt and red and back Nike TN shoes.

Jai is known to frequent the Teralba and Bolton Point areas.
 

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crimes Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Have you seen Jai Winters?

 

 



 



Monday, 24 March 2025

Central Coast Tyre Shop Damaged By Fire

 BY IAN CROUCH

Fire has caused extensive damage to a tyre store on the Central Coast this morning.

Around 20 firefighters from three stations were called to the East Coast Tyre and Auto outlet on the Pacific Highway at Tuggerah just before 4.30.

They took about an hour to bring the blaze under control and stop it spreading to the second level of the shop.

No-one was injured and the fire is being treated as suspicious.


 

6 Hour Standoff Ends With Arrest Of A Man At Mayfield

 BY IAN CROUCH

A man is due to front court today (Monday 24 March, 2025) charged with domestic violence offences following an alleged stand-off with police at Mayfield.

Emergency services were called to a unit complex in Woodbine Street just before 11.00am on Sunday following reports of a domestic violence incident.

Police were told a 66-year-old woman had been assaulted by a man known to her.

It's further alleged he threatened police who tried to arrest him.

Specialist tactical police, paramedics and firefighters were called in to assist and residents of the unit bloc were evacuated as a precaution.

Around 5.15pm, a 30-year-old man left the unit and was arrested without incident.

He's been charged with four offences and refused bail to face Newcastle Local Court today. 

Emergency services at the scene in Woodbine Street, Mayfield. Photo ABC Newcastle Keeley Johnson 

 


 

Friday, 21 March 2025

Council to Vote On Major Broadmeadow Renewal

 BY JACK SEYMOUR

Newcastle Council will be voting on the adoption of a 30-year strategy next week which will shape the future of Broadmeadow.

The Broadmeadow Place Strategy is the next step in the suburbs renewal, which will see up to 15,000 jobs and 20,000 homes created.

The plan comes after the State Government's Rezoning Pathways Program named the precinct as one of ten which will boost housing supply.

City of Newcastle Executive Director of Planning and Environment Michelle Bisson says the strategy presents a unique opportunity to help set the vision and guide where key infrastructure and services should be located.

"The NSW Government has been working in partnership with the City of Newcastle to develop the Place Strategy," she said.

"We are the only Council in NSW involved in such a partnership, ensuring early input into the strategic planning for the renewal of he Broadmeadow precinct," she said.
 
Artist's impression of Belford Street. Credit: Newcastle Council

 

Big Map Exhibitions To Explore How Hunter Would Cope in Natural Disaster

 BY PETER HYSLOP

Newcastle and Lake Macquarie residents are being invited to see how their homes would cope in a natural disaster.

Disaster Relief Australia is set to host two big map events at Newcastle Wests and Kahibah this weekend.

As the climate changes the risk of disaster is set to steadily increase in the areas-

Lake Macquarie Council’s Derek Poulton says the giant map will help residents understand how to manage different scenarios.

“We get storms, lots of fallen trees, fires. This is an opportunity to create a few scenarios and exercises putting us through [multiple situations] and consider what things we would need to look at,” he said.

Image Credit: Disaster Relief Australia

 

Thursday, 20 March 2025

Police Disappointed Following Vandalism at Thornton Skate Park

 BY PETER HYSLOP

 Port Stephens Hunter Police say they're seeking information about damage caused to the recently-built Thornton Skate Park

It's been open for a week, but spray painted tags and images have been painted all over ramps.

Officers say they're disappointed about the damage.

Anyone with information's being asked to contract Crime Stoppers.


Vandalism at Thornton Skate Park. Credit: Port Stephens Hunter Police