Wednesday 22 August 2018

Cooking "like riding a push bike": The Blind Chef

BY TARA LOUIS

The Blind Chef Bistro at Boolaroo Bowling Club is run by a man with no vision.

Ian Edwards had been a chef for 34 years before tragically losing his sight in 2015.

Refusing to let his disability get in the way of his love for cooking, Mr Edwards contacted NSW Ability Links, a program that aims to seek opportunities for people with a disability.

With the help of the state government program, Mr Edwards was able to get back into the kitchen, helping others in the process.

At the Blind Chef Bistro, young people with disabilties are given an opportunity they didn't think was possible.

"I know how devastated I was when I couldn't do what I loved," said Mr Edwards.

When asked how he goes about running the kitchen, he simply responded, "I just do it like i normally do."

"To me, cooking is like riding a push bike."

The Blind Chef, Ian Edwards. Picture: Sydney Morning Herald