|Artist's impression of the redevelopment of Maitland Hospital|
It's hoped the new facility will lead to better health outcomes for Lower Hunter residents, with improvements to:
- Emergency services
- Medical, surgical, paediatric and maternity services
- Critical care services for adults and babies, including a special care nursery
- Operating theatres, delivery suites and assessment rooms
- Palliative care and rehabilitation services
- Mental health services
- Satellite renal dialysis
- A new chemotherapy service
- Expanded oral health service
- A range of ambulatory care and outpatient clinics
Community members are invited to view the designs, with architects and planners at Stockland Green Hills Shopping Centre information desk on Saturday 19th May from 9am to 4pm to answer questions and receive feedback from locals.
The hospital is expected to be complete by 2021 but Maitland MP, Jenny Aitchison said she's not confident it'll be delivered on time.
"We've been told that the hospital will be completed by 2021, this is from a government that's taken 7 years to get to this point. We only got the construction starting last year after lots of pressure from the opposition," Ms Atchison said,
"We just want that hospital to be built and we'll be looking to see that there are no more delays and that there is open consultation with the community."
The new hospital will be located at the intersection of Metford Rd and Fieldsend St near Victoria Street train station.