Friday 23 February 2018

Charlestown MP Takes Action Against Death Threats

BY SARAH JAMES

Charlestown MP Jodie Harrison has taken action after receiving death threats under her office front door in March 2017.

The threatening messages contained in two envelopes said "You are in TREASON, you will be hung until you are dead. No mercy, no prisoners. You are scum".

Ms Harrison immediately reported the matter to police, which led to police arresting disgruntled jewellery business owner Christopher Hardy.

"The reason I decided to press charges was because people come to me for advice on what they should do to stop behaviour that is unsatisfactory to them, and my advice is always to go to the police. It was important that I took my own advice," she said.

Hardy has since been sentenced to a maximum of 16 months' jail with a non-parole period of one year.

While experiencing intimidating behaviour is often part of the job, Jodie Harrison hopes this encounter will send a message to the public.

"It's important that everybody realises it's not satisfactory to threaten anyone."

"I'm very pleased that I've been able to make sure that the workplace for myself and my staff is a safe one," she said.

Jodie Harrison