Monday 5 February 2018

Brian Burston Says he's Ready to Defend himself

BY TYLER FARDELL

During his maiden parliament speech in 2016, One Nation senator Brian Burston said he had worked as a lecturer at the University of Newcastle during the 1980's.

But now he's out to prove his claims are true after an article published in the Sydney Morning Herald alleged Mr Burston may have been lying about his former credentials with the University of Newcastle having no records of the senator ever being employed.

It's expected Mr Burston will address the issue this week when parliament resumes and says he's angry this 'non-issue' is even getting brought up.

"The media and major parties have been trying to find something on me... but I can back what I said",  Mr Burston responded.

"I was certainly there. I was there for four years".

Mr Burston also responded by stating "I never said I was employed by the University. I said I lectured at Newcastle University".

Mr Burston further explained the situation on Sunday and said he was employed by TAFE during the 1980's and was contracted to lecture trainee TAFE teachers on the University campus.

It's likely the matter will be resolved within the week.